Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I'm So Alone

Last Friday we moved Sid's crib into his and his sister's room. We figured the best time would be on a weekend when she's there so he won't feel like he's thrown in a room all alone. Friday and Saturday nights he did fine in there with her. There are many weekends when he asks to sleep with her so we knew it would go alright.

Sunday night she was gone. I put him to bed and the boy must have woken up at least three times asking me to sit with him, which I did. Then I would leave when I figured it was safe. The last time he woke up I found him sitting up. He said to me, "I don't want to sleep in my crib," in a sad voice. I asked him why. He didn't respond. I told him he needed to answer me. He replied, "I don't know." I was very ok with that answer. He was being honest. He really didn't understand that he felt alone. I picked him up and hugged him and told him ok, he could sleep with me, and as we lay down in my bed I told him that the next day I would make sure to buy him his own light for his room so that it wouldn't be too dark for him.

Monday came and while doing some grocery shopping we picked up a night light. That night I didn't have to do much to get him in his room. I plugged it in and showed him that it wasn't so dark anymore and he was fine with it. He didn't wake up once that night. As a matter of fact, when he woke up Tuesday morning the first thing he said to me was, "I'm a big boy. I didn't cry for anybody." How cool is that?! Of course, I could do nothing but hug him and agree. Tuesday night he again went to sleep without a problem. He did ask me to sit with him at first so I tucked him in, rubbed his back a bit, then lay on his sister's bed. Not much later I left and he was still laying there singing to himself. He never felt the need to call me back.

The title of the post is, "I'm So Alone" because, well, I almost am. He's no longer within arms reach of me. I used to be able to put my arm through the slats in the crib and tickle his feet. Now I have to watch myself to make sure I don't roll off the bed and onto the floor!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww.... wow - he really IS a big boy.
all that sense!

you're 'alone' now - but you'll have another little one soon enough! whoa! ;-)

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home