Friday, August 25, 2006

My Baby's In School!

Sid is 3 1/2. His birthday isn't until next February. However, the teachers at his daycare spoke to me before school started about promoting him to pre-school where he'll be in the big kids class (age 4). They said we could always put him back if necessary but they didn't think that would happen. Now, my baby is learning to read and write. I'm so proud of him. Sometimes he comes home with schoolwork he's done throughout the day, sometimes he comes home with homework. Last night he was supposed to do an experiment with blowing air through a straw and making a piece of paper move. Another time the class did an experiment where they left one pile of salt and one pile of sugar out overnight to find out what the ants liked. Yesterday when I picked him up he was too excited to show me the water with the floating "boats" and the sand.

I'll have to scan in and upload some of his work so you can see his writing. I'm quite impressed. He can write and stay between the lines. He can even write his name. The only thing there is that he writes some of the letters backwards. I'm hoping it's just a phase and not dyslexia.

Anyway, along with being in pre-school he now has to be at school between 8:00 am and 8:30 am. Times I'm used to still being at home. This morning I did well in that I got him to school by 8:20 am. Last year they wanted him there by 9:00 am. This year they didn't tell me that it would be different so I've been aiming for 9:00 again. But this week having been a rough one including many late nights, I've been too tired to get up early, which means he's been arriving closer to 9:30. At least now I know and I want him to have every opportunity to learn so I'm going to do better. I used to drive my stepson to a bus stop for 6:30 AM! We had to leave by 6:10 am the latest. And I did it. If I could do that then, then I can do this now. Hopefully it means I'll get to leave work a bit earlier too. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe he's started school! And he can write his name and he has homework? At 3 and a 1/2. Whoa! ;-)

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home