Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Motherly Instinct

A couple of weeks ago me, Sid, and K went by K's friend's house. We don't really go over there for one main reason: we're afraid of his kid. His son is not much older than Sid but he is probably three times his weight and 1.5x his height. This kid doesn't know what to do with himself or his strength. Plus, I don't think he's quite all there unfortunately. Anyway, one time we were over there and the boy gave Sid one thump sending him reeling back to the wall and crying. It all happened so fast the boy's older sister who was standing right beside them didn't even have time to react. The boy got a reprimand. Fine. But you can still imagine me sitting on edge during this recent visit. When his sister, who is about six years older than he is, walked in the front door he grabbed her and literally threw her to the side. She and the cake she was carrying went flying. I stood there with my mouth open. Barely a reprimand this time. His father and mother were both there. Then he found Sid. As he reached his arms out toward Sid's unsuspecting back I said, "Don't even think about it." Of course, everyone turned to look at me but I didn't care. I didn't know what that boy was going to do - intentional or not. K chalked it up to my maternal instincts kicking in, esp. with me being pregnant. Regardless, I kept a close watch on that kid's every move, unpredictable as he was.

That poor kid was always too much for his mother and his father had the "boys will be boys" attitude and never curbed his over-aggressiveness. I fear what he will be like when he becomes a teenager.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would've done the same thing! totally warranted, seeing as the parents aren't doing anything. prevention is way better then a crying Sid with a busted lip!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home