Thursday, December 01, 2005

I was dreading this day but it wasn't so bad and Sid took it better than I did but maybe it's because he didn't know any better.

Sidney's school was asking for an updated blue sheet. For those of you who may not know, the blue sheet lets the school know that the child's immunizations are up to date. I didn't want to take him. I hate watching him get shots. And he's so big now I know I couldn't manage him if I had to. So, I made his father come with us (like last time). I had been preparting Sidney for his visit from last night. I told him we're going to the doctor in the morning. I told him all what the doctor would do (I couldn't bring myself to tell him the nurse was going to give him a needle). I looked in his eyes, ears, made him open his mouth wide, I rubbed his neck and squeezed his belly. This morning, the boy was so prepared. He didn't put up a fight. I didn't know they would be "checking his hemoglobin" = "pricking his finger" but they did and he watched and don't even think he flinched (unlike myself). Then the doctor did everything I said he would and then some. He took it like a champ. Until the doctor opened his diaper. He didn't freak out, he merely politely asked the doctor, "Why you open my diaper?" My mouth dropped open and we all laughed. The doctor told him that was a good question and that noone should touch him there except his mom and dad. What a smart boy. As we were leaving the exam room Sid really started talking and the doctor commented to my husband how articulate Sidney is. Of course. That's my boy!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so amazing that Sidney, at his age, had the presence of mind to QUESTION the doctor!

8:33 AM  
Blogger The Gig said...

LOL, that is a real cute story, just like your Sidney. Kids say the funniest things. Nice post.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home